Sunday, December 29, 2013

"I am fire... I am DEATH."




Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug released earlier in December was pretty epic to say the least. Several of my friends and I went to the midnight showing to watch the epicness before the rest of the general population. And overall, I was not disappointed.

So the movie obvi (obviously) picks up where the last one left off, with the dwarves on their way to Erebor. The movie follows the rest of their journey to reach the lonely mountain. The movie has several ups and downs... Lets start with some of the moments I wasn't too thrilled about.

I'm becoming less and less of a fan of all the CGI that is being used in these film. I only say this because Jackson spoiled us with Lord of the Rings! He made everything looks so real, even things that were so fake he made me believe that they were real. And in the Hobbit series, so far, there are several things that I'm like.... and fake. Though I know its all fake and its a movie, its just nice when things feel real. Gollum and Smaug have to be CGI but they are sooo beautifully constructed they look pretty real. There is time taken in making them look as real as possible so I don't feel like I'm being attacked with CGI. I just wish the orcs had that much care. Also there are a couple fight scenes that clearly use a heavy amount of CGI. Once again, that's not what I'm used to seeing from Peter Jackson, considering the fact that most of the stunts were done by actual people in LOTR. That's the only thing that's really bothered me about this film. Other than that I think its awesome.

I was so glad elves are in this movie because they are so cool.Though she may not be in the books,Tauriel, played by the beautiful Evangeline Lilly, is just really awesome! I'm always going to support a strong women character who can kick some butt! Also its cool to have Legalas back, however, he is not the exact same Legolas we used to know. As some of my friends have pointed out to me, he is a little more native and a tiny bit arrogant because he is not the mature, humble Legolas we know from LOTR. This is him before all that. I constantly have to remind myself of that because at first I expected him to be exactly the same as he was in LOTR.

There are tons of great moments throughout the movie. The scene with the spiders is one of my favorites. It was freaky and gross looking but also really entertaining. There is also the epic barrel scene that is just soo cool to watch. It is such a long fight scene and I was biting my nails for every single second of it. That moment was one of my favorites.

I love all the characters development throughout the film. However, the nature of Thorin is the most interesting to me. He wants to believe in Bilbo and honestly in himself but he really just can't seem to decide. His greed and pride start to take over him and he is constantly trying to fight it. He will do anything to not be like his grandfather, but that challenge is tough when they actually reach Erebor. All his hopes and dreams lie with Bilbo. Also I love Luke Evans, who plays the Bard in this movie. He just has some good lines and is a good guy. I look forward to watching his character grow in the third installment of the series.

Martin Freeman makes such an awesome Bilbo! I just felt that needed to be said. Anyway, Smaug is amazing!!! Jackson used the same technology he used to create Gollum to create Smaug and that was such a great decision. I loved the way it moved and talked. Cumberbatch was a great choice for the voice of Smaug. I also loved how smart and witty Smaug was; he was kinda sassy which was fantastic!

And let's not forget Gandalf!! Man who doesn't love that wizard! In this film he is just as great, but not in it as much as he is in the other films. However, when he is in it he faces well... lets just say Grave Danger. I can't say much about what happens to our friend Gandalf but lets just say... well... you just need to watch to find out.

Overall, this movie is awesome! If you haven't seen it yet you are missing out. You will be glued to your seat for the entire movie. It is fairly high paced and flows very well. It's got action and of course some funny moments to balance out all the intense parts. So hit the nearest theater quick, you won't want to miss one of the biggest movies of the year!

-Megan O'Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment